Becoming the 4 McCaffery's

We've created this webpage for our family, friends, and future adoptive families to follow us in our adoption journey to Kazakhstan to become a family of 4. Thanks for reading, we hope you enjoy it!!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Tuesday May 16th

The day started out cloudy and by early afternoon the sun was out, but I was not in the best of moods. The entire group of American’s I had met by Trash Park #3 departed today. I will miss our daily laughs about Karaganda, our adoption experience, and watching our children enjoy each other’s company. We did not leave the house til 1400, not that there was anything to do, but Sam managed to keep busy with puzzles, magna doodle and leap pad and puzzles. Just wait til he gets to America and he sees how fortunate he and his brother, Ian are to have so many books and toys, and access to a library and decent parks and a safe clean house, etc. etc..

Can I just say how much I want to be back home. Not just in my own home with my family, but in America. I’m about ready to lose my mind. Hopefully we’re still on target to be out of Karaganda either Thursday night or early Friday morning. My goal is to try and get us out of Almaty at about 0100 next week Wednesday vs waiting until next Saturday. I know it’s only a few days difference, but for those of you reading this who have already traveled and for those of you who have not yet gone, believe you me, a few days, a few hours makes a HUGE difference. Let’s see, the high lights of the day are that we once again went to the park to kick the ball. We did meet a nice young woman and her daughter and her grammy at the huge waterfall and they couldn’t believe our son spoke a bit of understandable Russian and understandable English. She also couldn’t believe he was from the detsky dom and still had such a nice demeanor. Go figure! That’s our Sam, the charmer! We also went to Mario’s pizza for no real reason except for the fact that we didn’t have to eat the same meal over again and I didn’t have to do the dishes in the yellowish- brown water. I know my tone is a bit snooty today, but I’m just so over being here for this long. There really is no reason the process has to take as long as it does and it definitely does not benefit the child or the family to either have to make two trips or to have to split up your family so some can go home and some need to stay behind. All I know for certain is that Sam is well adjusted and very excited to go on airplane and go home to his Daddy, his brother and his doggy, as I am!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Thad and Ann said...

Hi Nell,
I can understand you wanting to get to Almaty, I felt the SAME way when we were in Astana 2 years ago bringing home our son, you just get SICK of seeing the same things, it gets so old so FAST!! I think its awesome of you to stay with Sam, it just sucks that it takes such a long time to get home, I honestly cried when we FINALLY touched down at O'hare, we were in Kaz for 7 1/2 weeks. Anyway, I hope & pray the time flys & you get to come home to the rest of your family soon! I've really enjoyed following your blog.
Ann

12:42 PM  
Blogger The 5 McGills said...

Hi Nell,
Hang in there. Sounds like you are in the home stretch now. Hoping all goes as you'd like.
Debbie

1:17 PM  
Blogger The 4 McCaffery's said...

Thank-you everyone for your kind and supportive comments. I know Sam and I will be fine, I'm just not used to being "idle" for days on end, and while I know staying has enhanced Sam's overall being and given him a better chance at adapting to life in America and within a family. I'm just sorry that it came at the cost of being away from Ian and not being able to "mother" him for nearly a month!!

Thanks again for your comments-
Nell

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home