Becoming the 4 McCaffery's

We've created this webpage for our family, friends, and future adoptive families to follow us in our adoption journey to Kazakhstan to become a family of 4. Thanks for reading, we hope you enjoy it!!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Sunday May 21

Oh my goodness, can I just say how nice Almaty is. I've met a great group of people adopting from this region and man do they have the good life. Great supermarkets, restarants galore, with English menus and tons of trees and a beautiful skyline of the Tien Shien mountains, I thought they were the Himalayas, whatever their name, they are breathtaking. It's hard to believe Sam and I are hop, skip, and a jump away from China. Almaty feels much more European, and today when we passed Prada, Armani, Gucci, you could have sworn you were in Europe. This afternoon, my internet pal, Mary from Dublin, organized a grand get together of various couples and individuals adopting and we met at Mad Murphey's Irish Pub, the food was great, but can you believe they did not have any Murphey's available. I met a couple from Serbia, now living in Canada, 2 couples from N. Carolina, Julie, formally from MA. who now resides in Tampa, and another women from Springfield, MA. The families here are very spoiled in their living standards and choice of food, shopping extra. Sam loved being by the 2 babies, who were 9 and 12 months and looked like 3 and 6 month old children. Both very bright and alert and adorable. Sam was so gentle and when one of them cried, he said, "it's ok baby" He of course melted everyone's heart and once he giggled it was all over, his laugh is just so infectious. We then walked to the TSUM and hit the supermarket. I'm amazed that the majority of the people are as thin as they are because they have a ton of ornate desserts and yummy food every where. While at the grocery store Sam once again was able to steal some hearts as our clerk gave him some plastic toy and he was so elated. She told me she was so pleased that I spoke a bit of Russian. We then walked "home" to the hotel and tonights big entertainment is reading some fluff novels that I received from Anjanette and Mary. Keep your fingers crossed that Sam's passport arrives tomorrow and all goes well at the embassy on Tuesday. We are very excited to go home. But I tell you this, staying in Almaty for nearly 8 wks would have been a piece of cake compared to Karaganda. Still, we wouldn't have had Sam, and I wouldn't have been able "see and experience the REAL Kaz lifestyle."

2 Comments:

Blogger smolon said...

Hi Nell and Sam! I hope all goes as planned. I don't know how you've done it?! I have so much respect for you!

We got home Friday and had a great Indonesian dinner with the Blewers last night in A'dam.

We wish you the best and are thinking of you! Suzie and Joe Molon

3:54 AM  
Blogger The 4 McCaffery's said...

hi dad-
thanks for the call

hi molons

i'm so glad you were able to meet up with the blewers and that you made it home safe and sound

i'll be watching your blog for updates on Hannah Banana!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home