Becoming the 4 McCaffery's

We've created this webpage for our family, friends, and future adoptive families to follow us in our adoption journey to Kazakhstan to become a family of 4. Thanks for reading, we hope you enjoy it!!

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sunday April 30th

My dear husband and sweet son left this morning around 0700. I miss them immensely already and it’s only 1030. The good news is that Vitalik does not seem to mind a bit. I think it will hit him in a few days, but for now he seems content to have free reign of all the toys that Ian brought from the US and our Kazakhstan toys which consist of: water bottle caps, clothesline ropes, and empty water bottles. I just tell him over and over again in a mixture of Russian and English that Papa et Ian went das vidanya in a samiliot to America to our dom because Papa had to rabotayeah. So far this morning, we’ve played with Leap Pad, Magna Doodle, ropes, caps and clothespins. Even though it’s a bit chilly and overcast we’ll venture out to the grocery store for a few supplies and maybe take a walk this afternoon to stay sane. I watched a bit of the news and there was an interesting clip on the Congo and its numerous crises due to its civil unrest. It was quite heartbreaking and it’s hard to imagine so much hatred and bloodshed exists within a country with such an amazing and breathtaking landscape and people longing to enjoy their homeland. As I was about to turn off the TV to go and vacuum, I flipped to a Russian channel with a cute sabaka that caught Sam’s attention. He loves dogs, and always kisses the picture of our Hanski-Panski when we look at our photo album about our home and our family. Anyhow, it’s some cute artsy film about a man who is a magician and depicts just how much he loves his animals; his beloved goat, cat, and dog..

I’ve already started crying 3x while thinking about Ian. When Sam started playing with his ropes, I thought of how Ian loved to make his “lovee traps” while he was here. Before he left he told me "it was going to be alright, that he loved me so much, and gave me a kiss on my hand like in the book, “The Kissing Hand.” Knowing I won’t be receiving a mere 100 or so kisses and hugs each day will be very difficult for this Mama. Though Sam is giving and enjoying kissees more often each day. While I think it was very beneficial for both the boys to be an equal part of this adoption journey I’m so thankful Ian will be able to return home to his “normal life.” A million thanks to his Grammy’s for allowing this to be a possibility. Right now Ian and Tim are in Almaty wasting time til there 0145 flight to Frankfurt. I hope they get some sleep either at a hotel or on the plane. Ian can’t wait to get to Frankfurt for McDonald’s and I must admit a regular diet coke vs. coca-cola light and a biggie fries sounds might good to this American Girl!

Let’s see, our day, well, we went to supermarket across the street and Vitalik was very excited about having a choice about which cereal and oatmeal packets he’d like to eat. He also liked being able to put the groceries into the cart. I was happy to see that although it was only his second or third time in a supermarket he didn’t go crazy and try to touch and take everything he saw. We then went home and had lunch. It’s still really hard for him not to either be in the room where I’m cooking or not to simply watch me cook from the hallway. But as soon as he’s done, he’s ready to go and play. He says Grace with us, it’s pretty simple. “God is good, God is great, let us thank Him for our food. Amen. But it’s quite cute with his accent. The sun popped out for a bit in the afternoon so I figured we had to go out for a bit; but also because our light in the bathroom, or more honestly described…{ the light bulb dangling from exposed wires and a rusty connection burnt out this morning,} so we then had a quest to fulfill. Our quest took us on a journey for nearly 3 hours. I make Sam walk everywhere as I figure it can only help to give him better tone in his limbs and he’s a little “sveenya” with a very “bolshoi” belly so I can’t carry Bubba all around town. We walked to the TSUM, and went into a few stores. He did very well holding my hand and staying near me with out his hand being held. I found one pair of jeans I thought we’re cool but not only were they 120,000. tenge. Remember, it’s only 124 tenge to $1.00. I think my husband would think they sat a “little” too low on my hips for this 35 yr old Mama to wear to preschool or to the grocery store!! We then ventured into a shoe store. I’m amazed at how expensive the clothing and shoes are here; especially due to the poor quality of the tailoring of the garments and shoes. In addition to the dirt and dust it’s no wonder most citizens of Karaganda only have a few outfits and don’t’ change their clothes that often.

We then came home and I called my Texan friend who is staying at the Cosmonaut and is having a less than stellar adoption process. She is hilarious and a G-d send as it was so nice to gab and laugh in English with someone who knows exactly what I’m going through. With all of the drama she’s enduring, it put me in my place about my woes of being here another 4 wks. We’re going to meet up for dinner tomorrow night at Mario’s Pizza.

Vitalik and I then made a really fancy meal of black olives, ramen, and a banana; yes, we’re living large in Karaganda. Oh yes, I then had a 65 cent beer with dinner. Those who know me well know I’m a beer snob. I’m more of a Shiner Bock, Alaskan Amber, Leine’s Red type girl vs. a Miller girl. Still, this Miller of Moscow beer I splurged the 65 cents on was a nice treat for me on the day of Daddy and Ian’s departure. Sam and I then hit the couch to read some books, and Sam started to drift off to sleep and by 2115 the boy was in bed. It’s now 2200 and I’m about to go and read a Tale of Two Cities. Please keep Tim and Ian in your thoughts and prayers as they venture back home. Pop-Pop, thanks for all your calls, it definitely make each week pass by more quickly. Paka-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home